Library Study Carrels
The Library has two kinds of locked study carrels available for individual use:
- The Rentable Study Carrels, for CSU faculty, undergraduate and graduate students, and staff, are rentable on a 6-month and yearly basis and are subject to availability.
- The Individual Quiet Study Rooms, for CSU students with valid IDs, are available for 4-hour use.
Rentable Study Carrels
Rentable, locked study carrels on the 2nd and 4th floors in the Library are provided for CSU faculty, undergraduate and graduate students, and staff, subject to availability. The nonrefundable rental fee is $50 for 6 months or $100 for 12 months.
Simplified Application Process
- Apply for a study carrel online.
- Library staff will contact you.
- You will be notified at the end of the rental period.
- You may renew (and pay the annual rental fee) or vacate the study carrel and return the key within 14 days. After 14 days an unreturned key will be deemed lost.
Important Things to Know
- The rental fee is $50 for 6 months or $100 for the year (includes summer).
- The rental fee is non-refundable
- If demand exceeds supply, faculty have priority.
- There is a $100 replacement fee for lost keys.
- During late night study hours and any other time when the upper floors of the library are closed for safety and security reasons, all individuals, including those with study carrels on the second and fourth floors, will need to relocate to the open floor(s) — typically the first floor — as directed by Library Administration or Campus Police.
Quiet Study Rooms
The Library currently has 55 quiet study rooms (carrels) that are available to CSU students with valid CSU IDs.
- 40 quiet study rooms are available at the east end of the second floor. Key cards for them can be checked out at User Services.
- 15 quiet study rooms are available on the third floor in the Digital Design Studio. Key cards for them can be checked out at the Digital Design Studio service desk.
Key cards can be checked out for 4 hours at a time. Overdue fine for key $1.00 per hour.
Rules for Use of the Quiet Study Rooms:
- One person per room
- No talking
- No cell phone conversations (turn off ringers)
- Do not cover windows
- No audible music or videos
- Please be mindful of others wanting to use the rooms and return your key on time (if there are rooms available, you may renew the key)
Violations of these rules will result in a warning. Upon the third warning, room privileges will be suspended until the end of the semester.
If you lock yourself out of your 2nd floor study room, please visit the User Services desk or call (216) 687-2479.
You will be asked to show ID to get back into the room.
Questions? Contact User Services at (216) 687-2479 or the Digital Design Studio at (216) 687-9337.