The Cleveland Press Collection
The Cleveland Press Collection is located in the Special Collections area on the third floor (RT 320). The collection was the former editorial library, or "morgue," of The Cleveland Press and now includes approximately one million clippings from The Press, subject sorted and stored in envelopes or on microfiche and 500,000 8x10 black and white photographs.
The last of Cleveland's daily afternoon newspapers, The Cleveland Press was published from 1878 until 1982. Little survives from the first half-century and the collection's coverage of local and national history gets progressively stronger after 1920. The library was donated to the Michael Schwartz Library at Cleveland State University in 1984 by the newspaper's owner, Joseph E. Cole, who was then a CSU Trustee.
For questions or more information, contact us via our web form.