By the Numbers...
Affordable Learning at CSU: Fiscal Year 2020 Impact
Affordable Learning @ CSU: Empowering Students. Creating Knowledge. Engaging Communities. Shaping Our World.
CSU's AFFORDABLE LEARNING INITIATIVE:
- Committed to Collaboration
- Making Learning More Affordable
- Promoting Pedagogical Innovation
IN FISCAL YEAR 2020,
- 20 Open Textbooks
- Adapted, used or created by 40 CSU faculty advocates
- Replacing books costing on average $100 each
- Have benefitted an estimated 3,254 students
- Resulting in savings to CSU students of $325,400
SINCE THE PROGRAM STARTED, OVER 9,000 STUDENTS HAVE SAVED MORE THAN $900,000
TEXTBOOK AFFORDABILITY GRANTS
TEXTBOOK HERO AWARDS
Some Award Winners:
- Photo of 2020 Textbook Hero Dr. Kathy Curnow, Department of Art & Design, with her openly licensed textbook
Caption: Annual student savings: $10,500
- Photo of 2020 Textbook Affordability Grant Winner Shawn Ryan, Department of Mathematics, with his openly licensed textbook
Caption: Annual student savings: $22,200
- Photo of 2020 Textbook Affordability Grant Winner Lisa Bernd, Department of Theatre & Dance, with her openly licensed textbook
Caption: Annual student savings: $25,000
"My students are better prepared ...and I can teach more efficiently because I know everyone has the material."
"The results were better than anyone expected."
"The success rates in my course are now consistently over 90%...and students frequently take additional theatre courses because they had such a good experience."
ELECTRONIC COURSE RESERVES FISCAL YEAR 2020
Traditional course reserves are an essential component of the team effort to make learning more affordable. We scan, process, organize, ensure copyright compliance & accessibility for these resources every semester, resulting in a vast resource of essential readings, streaming media, lab notes, and other course materials offered at absolutely no charge to our students.
- 2,952 course readings
- used by 496 courses
- were accessed 30,824 times
OHIOLINK & INTERLIBRARY LOAN FISCAL YEAR 2020
- 4,172 OhioLINK materials checked out
- 2,688 PDF articles provided
- saving our students and faculty $40,320
THE TEXTBOOK COLLECTION
In just three years, this small pilot project has grown into a true collaboration among students, staff, and faculty, and it has become an indispensable resource and one of the library's core services.
- 149 E-textbooks were used by 163 classes
- 353 print textbooks used by 267 classes were checked out 1,173 times