Michael Schwartz Library
Library Services for Distance Learners
DL Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is eligible to use Distance Library Services?
- Distance Library Services are available to a Cleveland State University student who is enrolled in CSU credit classes that meet somewhere other than the downtown campus -- on another academic campus, at a school or business. See a list of all CSU locations.
- How can I find out the latest news about library resources?
- You can periodically visit the University Library’s web site and subscribe to the Library's Blog where the latest news is posted. When you subscribe to Distance Learning Services, we will be able to email information to you as additional services are implemented. Don’t miss out!
- What is OhioLINK and how can it help me get books?
- OhioLINK is a cooperative body of mostly academic libraries in Ohio, formed to share learning resources throughout the state. If the item you need is not available in CSU’s SCHOLAR catalog, or has already been borrowed, you can forward your SCHOLAR search to OhioLINK and request the item there. You may pick up an OhioLINK requested item downtown at the CSU Library or request delivery to a more conveniently located OhioLINK library including a branch of the Cuyahoga County Public Library (CCPL). An email notice will be sent when the item arrives, usually within a week.
- How do I renew CSU or OhioLINK books?
- You can renew materials borrowed with your CSU ID online in SCHOLAR. Click on the "My Account" link in the navigation bar at the bottom of this page. Click on "Items checked out" and mark any you need to renew. Overdue items can usually be renewed by calling the Circulation Desk at 216.687.2478. The loan period for most CSU books is 4 weeks for undergraduates or 3 months for graduate students, with renewals possible. The OhioLINK loan period is 3 weeks, with up to 6 renewals unless a hold has been placed by another OhioLINK borrower. Find out more about borrowing books.
- Do I need to have a CSU ID card?
- Your ID card serves as your Library Card at the CSU Libraries (University and Law), and any of the OhioLINK libraries for OhioLINK loans. For authentication purposes, you will need your name and ID number when using online databases purchased for your use by CSU.
- How can I find magazine or journal articles about a specific topic for a research paper?
- Use the "Research Guide" appropriate for your broad subject. Under the heading, "...Find Journal Articles" will be a link to the " Databases" for that subject. Open one of the "core research databases " and enter the most important keyword(s) for your topic. Many of the results listed will provide an article abstract and a link to a source for the full text. There will be a link with each result with wording such as "find a copy." Click there to see what type of access is provided. You can print articles on your computer from over 20,000 online periodicals to which CSU subscribes. You can also request free copies of specific articles from any other periodicals that CSU owns only in paper format using the Distance Learning Periodicals Request Form but only after you have registered!
- How do I find a specific article that I need?
- Use Journals at CSU to search for the title of a journal to see what access CSU can provide to it. The results will list links to any sources of online full text and/or will report what part of the title (if any) the Library owns in paper format. If there is online text, you can print it, save it, and sometimes email it. If the journal is accessible at CSU only in paper format — and if you are registered for distance education services — you can fill out the Distance Learning Periodicals Request Form to receive a free copy of your article.
- How can I get help choosing and searching indexes or doing other library research?
- There are several possibilities. You can click on the Contact Us link in the navigation bar at the bottom of this page to find a phone number for reference service, a link to a live online information service, see a list of subject librarians to contact, or use an email form to submit a question.
- Is the CSU Library downtown included in the Distance Library Services ?
- Yes, of course! The CSU University Library offers a full range of services for users. Go to About the Library for information about Library hours and parking information.