Michael Schwartz Library
Virtual Reference Desk: Maps & Travel
Cleveland State University Resources
- NODIS (Northern Ohio Data and Information Service): From the Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs. Provides demographic and economic data for Ohio originating from a number of sources, including the Bureau of the Census, the Ohio Department of Development and other state agencies & local agencies.
Cleveland State Michael Schwartz Library Resources
Certain resources may be available only on campus or by remote authentication.
- Catalog search: Subject search for maps, atlases, geographic Information Systems, or gazetteers.
- Cleveland Cartography: Information about historical and contemporary maps and map-related happenings in and about Cleveland. Part of Cleveland Digital Library.
- Research Guides: A search of all Library Research Guides that deal with maps.
Cleveland, Cuyahoga and Ohio Resources
- Cleveland GIS: Maps providing information on current local issues and trends.
- Cleveland Maps (This is Cleveland): Interactive and downloadable maps from for finding local restaurants, hotels and more.
- Cuyahoga County Geographical Information System: Provides GIS data, GIS infrastructure, and GIS services in support of the business needs of Cuyahoga County .
- Cleveland Historic Maps: Historic Cleveland plat maps dating from 1852 to 2016. Change the basemap by clicking on the Basemap Gallery icon. Add or remove details by clicking on the the Layer List icon.
- GEOhio Spatial Data Discovery Portal: Provides access to Ohio's Spatial Data Infrastructure in the form of hosted map, image, and feature services. GEOhio also provides links to other government mapping resources that support State Agency GIS activities as well as spatial data download applications.
- Ohio Tourism and Recreation Maps (Ohio.gov): Provides links to geological maps, as well as maps of bikeways, scenic rivers, state forests, parks and nature preserves, and more. Also includes a link to an Underground Railroad Commemorative Highway map.
- Sanborn Insurance Maps: Over 40,000 detailed maps of Ohio cities drawn between 1882 and 1962.
General Information Sources
- Canadian Geographical Names Search
- Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature: Maintained by the Planetary Geomatics Group of the USGS Astrogeology Science Center.
- Geographic Names Information System: U.S. repository of domestic geographic names information.
- Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Maplandia- Google Maps World Gazetteer: Provides the searchable world gazetteer based on Google Maps.
- New York Public Library: Links to online gazetteers.
- U.S. Gazetteer: U.S. Census Bureau; identifies places that may be viewed with the Tiger Map Server and places from which census data may be obtained.
Maps & GIS Information Sources
- The 50 States of the United States: Capital cities and information links.
- Historical Map Web Sites: Perry-Castañeda Library: Links to historical maps on the Web.
- Google Maps
- Latest News | World News Map (from Maplandia.com)
- Library Of Congress - Maps: Can be searched in a variety of ways including collections, date and location.
- Maps and GIS Resources - United States, By State: Links to national and state resources from the University of Oregon.
- Maps of the World: Links to maps and map collections
- Maps, Flags, Boundaries: From the United Nations Dag Hammarskjöld Library
- ThoughtCo Geogprahy: Resources for students and teachers of geography, including articles, fact sheets, blank maps and more.
- World Time Zones with Current Time
- Convention & Visitors Bureau Directory - Find Convention Bureaus: Includes state and some regional listings.
- Frommer's Travel Guides: Trip ideas, hotel and restaurant guide, reservations.
- MDtravelhealth.com: Travel health information for physicians and travelers.
- Rand McNally Mileage Calculator: Calculates miles and can supply travel directions.
- Recreation and Travel within the U.S. (provided by USA.gov): Find frequently requested government information on recreation activities and traveling in the U.S.
- Travel Warnings: U.S. State Department information and travel warnings for all countries.
- Travel.State.Gov: International travel information supplied by U.S. Dept. of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs.
- World Time Server: In addition to time zone information and a time zone converter, has news from local and world sources and weather conditions by time zone.
- World Tourism Organization: The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO/OMT) is responsible for the promotion of responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism. Includes links to its member nations which will have either contact information or links to websites.