Michael Schwartz Library
Virtual Reference Desk: Cleveland Area Resources
(For information on Cleveland's neighborhoods, see Neighborhood Links)
- City of Cleveland: Official site provides information about the government, economic development, education, and attractions.
- Cleveland+ / Team NEO : Northeast Ohio's regional marketing campaign. Has 3 major divisions:
- Work Here: This includes sections on career advancement, major industries, and listings of professional and workforce development organizations.
- Live Here: Includes cultural, educational and regional resources.
- Learn Here: Includes links to arts and culture (Cleveland Museum of Art, Karamu House, etc.), entertainment, family fun, and sports and recreation.
- Cleveland.com: A regional news, event and communication portal for Greater Cleveland. It includes news from the Cleveland Plain Dealer and Sun Newspapers. Also has special features such as Essential Cleveland, which allows you to see Plain Dealer recommendations on restaurants and things to do in Cleveland.
- Cleveland Quick Facts (Census.gov): Provides statistics for all states and counties, and for cities and towns with a population of 5,000 or more.
- This is Cleveland: Cuyahoga County's convention and visitors bureau.
Cleveland State University Resources
- Engaged Scholarship Subject Search - Cleveland, Ohio: Find scholarly works about Cleveland in Cleveland State University's institutional repository.
- Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs - Research: The largest resource in Ohio dedicated to urban policy research.
- The Michael Schwartz Library Resources:
- The Cleveland Memory Project: The Cleveland Memory Project, launched in 2002, is a freely searchable online collection of digital photos, texts, oral histories, videos and other local history resources, built by the Michael Schwartz Library at the Cleveland State University in collaboration with a host of community partners around Northeast Ohio.
- Cleveland Neighborhood History: A research guide to local history with a geographic focus on historic or contemporary neighborhoods and other districts.
- History of Cleveland and Northeast Ohio: A research guide detailing key resources for local history research.
- Scholar Catalog: Subject search for "Cleveland, Ohio". Electronic materials may only be available on campus or by remote authentication.
- Research Guides with Cleveland Information: Results from a keyword search for "Cleveland" in the Library's Research Guides, a collection of subject guides and useful resources compiled by our subject Librarians.
- City of Cleveland Government Directory
- Cleveland211 First Call for Help (serving Cuyahoga, Geauga and Medina Counties): No longer a searchable directory, this website provides users with one-on-one phone and chat sessions to help identify the services that best fit their needs.
- Northeast Ohio Family Fun - Museums and Science Centers
- This Is Cleveland - Partner Directory: Helpful directory links to local information for visitors staying in Cleveland.
Libraries and local library resources
- Cleveland Public Library: 28 branch libraries.
- Newspaper Articles: Some may require a CPL card and pin number or are accessible on site only. Access databases with local news in full text i.e., Plain Dealer, Newsbank - Ohio Newspapers and the Call and Post.
- Cuyahoga Public Library: 27 branches serving 47 communities.
- Research Resources: Some may require a CCPL card and pin number or are accessible on site only. CCPL has subscriptions to full text resources for the Plain Dealer, Cleveland Jewish News and the historical Cleveland Call & Post. Limit the resources by clicking on the tabs.
- OPLIN Find a Library - Cuyahoga County
News and Media
For full text access to Cleveland newspapers see Libraries and Library Resources above.
- Crain's Now - The Online Home of Crain's Cleveland Business: Local business news.
- Crain's Cleveland Business: Database containing full text articles of the business weekly. Available on campus or by remote authentication.
- List of mass media in Cleveland - from Wikipedia: Links to Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Youngstown newspapers, television and radio.
Other Local Resources
- Center for Community Solutions' Cleveland Neighborhoods and Wards "The fact sheets include basic demographic information about each ward and neighborhood, as well as data on employment and income, poverty, education, housing, and health."
- City Council (City Council directory and ward maps)
- City of Cleveland Home Page
- City Planning Commission
- Cleveland City Planning Commission - Neighborhood Fact Sheets: The City Planning Commission combines Census Tracts into Statistical Planning Areas (SPA). Each SPA is equivalent to a traditional neighborhood. A neighborhood Fact Sheet compiles some basic demographic information for a certain neighborhood. PDF format.
- Cleveland Cartography: Information about historical and contemporary maps and map-related happenings in and about Cleveland and the Western Reserve region of northeastern Ohio.
- Cleveland Metroparks: A system of 19 nature preserves encircling Cleveland and spanning over 21,000 acres. It is unofficially known as the "Emerald Necklace".
- Cuyahoga County, Ohio: The official government website of Cuyahoga County.
- Greater Cleveland Partnership (formerly Greater Cleveland Growth Association): A membership association of Northeast Ohio companies and organizations and one of the largest metropolitan chambers of commerce in the nation.
- Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
- Guide to Cleveland Artist Communities: Provides descriptions of communities throughout Cuyahoga County where artists are making their homes and help for those who wish to find space in those communities.
- LiveCleveland Neighborhoods: A civic marketing agency dedicated to promoting the livability of Cleveland's neighborhoods.
- Northeast Ohio Coordinating Agency (NOACA): A transportation and environmental planning agency serving Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain and Medina counties.
- City of Cleveland Home Page: From this page you can link out to various departments to get statistical information on topics such as Health Statistics or Police Crime Statistics.
- City of Cleveland Department of Economic Development - Cleveland Data and Reports: Provides detailed information about the City of Cleveland as well as access to demographics and other business information about the area such as the cost of doing business and the quality workforce and educational institutions available.
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District: General statistics on student population. See also: Cleveland Municipal School District Report Card.
- Data Central - Cleveland Ohio Statistics, Demographics & Census: From Cleveland.com