Michael Schwartz Library
Virtual Reference Desk: Citation Guides
APA Style Format (psychology, education, and other social sciences)
- APA Citation Style (Long Island University ): Color coded guide to major citation formats.
- APA - Citing Sources: Samples of basic citation formats; Michael Schwartz Library.
- APA Exposed :Online tutorial from Harvard University.
- APA Formatting and Style Guide (Purdue OWL): Detailed reference which "offers examples for the general format of APA research papers, in-text citations, endnotes/footnotes, and the reference page."
- APA Style Blog: Good place to go with your APA style questions.
- APA Style Guide to Electronic References, 6th ed.: PDF APA booklet which explains "how to format references for a broad range of electronic sources."
- The Basics of APA Style: A free tutorial from APA. Highly recommended.
Chicago (general, often used by newspapers)
- Chicago - Citing Sources: Samples of basic citation formats; Michael Schwartz Library.
- Chicago Manual of Style 17th (Purdue Owl): Detailed reference which "contains information on The Chicago Manual of Style method of document formatting and citation."
- Chicago-Style Citation Quick Guide: From The Chicago Manual of Style Online.
- Chicago/Turabian Style : Detailed instructions on note systems and works cited page.
MLA (English and other humanities)
- MLA Style (8th Edition): Samples of basic citation formats; Michael Schwartz Library.
- MLA Formatting and Style Guide (Purdue OWL): Detailed reference which "offers examples for the general format of MLA research papers, in-text citations, endnotes/footnotes, and the Works Cited page."
- MLA Frequently Asked Questions - A searchable FAQ.
- Citation Machine: Automatically formats bibliographic information into APA or MLA formats. Be sure to double-check results!
- EasyBib: A free citation manager that will generate citations for your bibliography into MLA, APA and Chicago formats. Be sure to double-check results!
- EBSCO Cite: When using the EBSCO databases on the Michael Schwartz library page, students can use EBSCO's interface to get citations for their references. An explanation of how to use EBSCO Cite can be found here .
- Google Scholar Cite: When using Google Scholar to find references, students can use Google's cite option. An explanation of how to use this feature can be found here.
- Noodle Tools Express: "Just need one or two quick citations?... simply generate them … and copy and paste what you need into your document." MLA, APA and Chicago.
- Create a Bibliography (Using Word)
- Endnote Online: Cleveland State University affiliated users can access endnote online by creating an account in Web of Science.
- Mendeley: A free reference manager and academic social network that can help to organize your research, collaborate with others online, and discover the latest research. See Library Research Guide: Mendeley for help.
- Zotero: Zotero is a free, open-source research tool that helps you collect, organize, and analyze research and share it in a variety of ways. See Library Research Guide: Zotero for help.
Other Citation Formats by Subject
- CSE Documentation (University of Wisconsin-Madison Writing Center
- ACS Style Guide
- ACS Style Guide: CSU subscription available on campus or by remote authentication.
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- IEEE Citation Reference (PDF)
- Electronic Sources
- Citing Primary Sources | Teacher Resources (Library of Congress) : How to Cite Digitized Primary Sources including films, maps, etc.
- Government Documents
- Mechanical Engineering
- AMA Style Guide: "This is a guide to the most frequently used reference types."
- AIP Author Resource Center (American Institute of Physics)
- Political Science
- Using the APSA format (Library Guide-TAMU): "Brief guide provides examples of how to cite the most commonly uses types of resources."
- American Sociological Association- Quick Tips for ASA Style: Pdf with basic information on "citing and referencing."
- ASA - Citing Sources: Samples of basic citation formats; Michael Schwartz Library.
Michael Schwartz Library, Cleveland State University
- Scholar Search: Keyword search on Style Manuals. Includes print and electronic resources. Certain resources may be available only on campus or by remote authentication.