Michael Schwartz Library
Virtual Reference Desk: Citation Guides
APA Style Format (psychology, education, and other social sciences)
- APA Citation Style (Long Island University ): Color coded guide to major citation formats.
- APA - Citing Sources: Samples of basic citation formats; Michael Schwartz Library.
- APA Exposed :Online tutorial from Harvard University.
- APA Formatting and Style Guide (Purdue OWL): Detailed reference which "offers examples for the general format of APA research papers, in-text citations, endnotes/footnotes, and the reference page."
- APA Style Blog: Good place to go with your APA style questions.
- APA Style Guide to Electronic References, 6th ed.: PDF APA booklet which explains "how to format references for a broad range of electronic sources."
- The Basics of APA Style: A free tutorial from APA. Highly recommended.
Chicago (general, often used by newspapers)
- Chicago - Citing Sources: Samples of basic citation formats; Michael Schwartz Library.
- Chicago Manual of Style 17th (Purdue Owl): Detailed reference which "contains information on The Chicago Manual of Style method of document formatting and citation."
- Chicago-Style Citation Quick Guide: From The Chicago Manual of Style Online.
- Chicago/Turabian Style : Detailed instructions on note systems and works cited page.
MLA (English and other humanities)
- MLA Style (8th Edition): Samples of basic citation formats; Michael Schwartz Library.
- MLA Formatting and Style Guide (Purdue OWL): Detailed reference which "offers examples for the general format of MLA research papers, in-text citations, endnotes/footnotes, and the Works Cited page."
- MLA Frequently Asked Questions - A searchable FAQ.
- Citation Machine: Automatically formats bibliographic information into APA or MLA formats. Be sure to double-check results!
- EasyBib: A free citation manager that will generate citations for your bibliography into MLA, APA and Chicago formats. Be sure to double-check results!
- Noodle Tools Express: "Just need one or two quick citations?... simply generate them … and copy and paste what you need into your document." MLA, APA and Chicago.
- Create a Bibliography (Using Word)
- Endnote Online: Cleveland State University affiliated users can access endnote online by creating an account in Web of Science.
- Mendeley: A free reference manager and academic social network that can help to organize your research, collaborate with others online, and discover the latest research. See Library Research Guide: Mendeley for help.
- Zotero: Zotero is a free, open-source research tool that helps you collect, organize, and analyze research and share it in a variety of ways. See Library Research Guide: Zotero for help.
Other Citation Formats by Subject
- CSE Documentation (University of Wisconsin-Madison Writing Center
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronic Sources
- Citing Primary Sources | Teacher Resources (Library of Congress) : How to Cite Digitized Primary Sources including films, maps, etc.
- Government Documents
- Mechanical Engineering
- AMA Style Guide: "This is a guide to the most frequently used reference types."
- AIP Author Resource Center (American Institute of Physics)
- Political Science
- Using the APSA format (Library Guide-TAMU): "Brief guide provides examples of how to cite the most commonly uses types of resources."
- American Sociological Association- Quick Tips for ASA Style: Pdf with basic information on "citing and referencing."
- ASA - Citing Sources: Samples of basic citation formats; Michael Schwartz Library.
Michael Schwartz Library, Cleveland State University
- Scholar Search: Keyword search on Style Manuals. Includes print and electronic resources. Certain resources may be available only on campus or by remote authentication.