Virtual Reference Desk: Legal Resources
Note: These are resources selected by the Michael Schwartz Library. You may also wish to check the resources selected by the librarians at the Law Library including their Research and Resource Guides.
Michael Schwartz Library, Cleveland State University
Certain resources may be available only on campus or by remote authentication.
- Research Databases:
- Hein Online: Image-based collection of nearly 400 legal periodicals from inception (pre-1980 coverage unique to this service); includes charts, graphs, and photographs. Can search US Law Journal Library, most cited law journals, core U.S. law journals, and international law journals.
- Legal Collection: Offers full text for nearly 250 of the world's best law journals and covers legal topics such as criminal justice, international law, federal law, organized crime, medical, labor & human resource law, ethics and the environment.
- Nexis Uni (formerly Lexis-Nexis Academic): Full text news, business, legal, medical, and reference information. The Law Library has access to specific law-related Lexis Nexis databases that are licensed only for Law School students. Not all of the resources in those databases are available with the Academic version.
- Research Guides: Search of Research Guides that have components dealing with law. Research Guides are compiled by our Librarians/Subject Specialists to help you with your coursework.
- Scholar Catalog Search: Subject search for Law — United States. You can limit these results in multiple ways including by material type/eBook.
Local Public Library Legal Resources
- Cleveland Public Library Govt. and Legal Resources: May require a CCPL library card and pin number.
- Cuyahoga County Public Library Resources: May require a CCCPL library card and pin number. Click on "Legal" at the top of the page for links and databases.
Internet Guides to Legal Resources
- Duke University - Legal Research on the Web: Nearly all of these sources are free, but a few require an individual subscription, an affiliation with Duke University or Duke Law.
- Library of Congress Guide to Law Online: An annotated guide to sources of information on government and law available online prepared by the Law Library of Congress Public Services Division. It includes selected links to useful and reliable sites for legal information.
- Legal Productivity's Top Websites for Legal News
Specific Internet Resources
- City of Cleveland Department of Law: Provides quality legal services to the City government by representing and providing legal advice to the Mayor, City Council, and all City departments and commissions.
- FindLaw: A free legal information website that helps consumers, small-business owners, students and legal professionals find answers to everyday legal questions and legal counsel when necessary. The site includes case law, state and federal statutes, a lawyer directory, and legal news and analysis.
- Google Scholar: Google Scholar search can be limited to search for Case Law and then limited further by type of court.
- Nolo: Publisher of do-it-yourself legal books and software. Website has free access resources such as Free Legal Articles & FAQs, a legal dictionary, a list of suggested websites, and Ohio Laws and Legal Information.
- Ohio Attorney General: Connects to different divisions/services and provides access to information on topics such as Ohio’s Sunshine Laws.
- Ohio Laws and Rules: Ohio.gov’s link to the Ohio Revised Code and Ohio Administrative Code.