Michael Schwartz Library
Virtual Reference Desk: Health & Medicine
- Drug Information (Express Scripts)
- Drug Information Portal (National Library of Medicine): Information on over 53,000 substances (over 200,000 unique searchable drug names and their synonyms) from NLM and from other U.S. government agencies.
- MEDLINEplus - Drug Information: Information about prescription drugs and over-the-counter medicines including side effects, dosage, special precautions, and more.
- RxList- The Internet Drug Index: Part of the WebMD network.
Directories (Website with multiple sources)
- HealthLinks: A database of over 525,000 unique healthcare related websites.
- Library of Congress: Selected Internet Resources - Health/Medical
- MLA Top Health Websites (from the Medical Library Association)
- Refseek's Health and Medical Sites: A directory of vetted websites.
- USA.gov - Health: Links to health resources from the government.
Specialized (Single sources for research)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: The CDC is a federal agency whose goal is to protect public health and safety through the control and prevention of disease, injury, and disability and provides information to the public in support of this goal.
- The Cleveland Clinic Disease Management Project: A free, online clinical resource that provides evidence-based treatment guidelines and comprehensive, reliable information for clinicians.
- Cleveland Clinic Health Information: Provides access to nearly 5,000 health articles, videos, and tools to help manage personal health.
- familydoctor.org (American Academy of Family Physicians): Provides information that has been written and reviewed by physicians and patient education professionals at the AAFP.
- Federal Trade Commission - Health & Fitness: Provides information about fraud in the areas of health, fitness, and weightloss.
- Go Ask Alice!: A question and answer site produced by Columbia University.
- Health Information and Medical Information - Harvard Health
- Healthfinder (U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services): Includes resources on a wide range of health topics selected from approximately 1,400 government and non-profit organizations.
- Mayo Clinic: Patient Care and Health Information
- Medline Plus (National Institutes of Health): Information about diseases, conditions, and wellness issues.
- The Merck Manuals: Online Medical Library
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine: NCCIHis the Federal Government's lead agency for scientific research on the diverse medical and health care systems, practices, and products that are not generally considered part of conventional medicine.
- National Institutes of Health: Part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the NIH is the largest biomedical research agency in the world.
- WebMD: Provides health information, health management tools, and support to those who seek health-related information.
Hospitals & Doctors
- AMA DoctorFinder (American Medical Associaiton): Provides information on licensed physicians in the United States.
- American Hospital Directory: Provides data and statistics about more than 6,000 hospitals nationwide.
- Compare Nursing Homes (Medicare): Contains detailed information about every Medicare and Medicaid-certified nursing home in the country.
- FAQ - Hospital Information (National Library of Medicine): Suggested sources for evaluating health facilities and choosing a doctor or healthcare service.
- Hospital Compare (Medicare): Provides information about the quality of care at over 4,000 Medicare-certified hospitals across the country.
- Cleveland Dept. of Public Health: Provides epidemiology, surveillance and statistical reports regarding population health for the City of Cleveland.
- FASTATS: Provides quick access to data from the National Center for Health Statistics.
- Global Health Observatory Data (World Health Organization): Provides access to country data and statistics with a focus on comparable estimates.
- Health Statistics (Ohio Department of Health)
- Health, United States (National Centers for Disease Control and Prevention): Presents national trends in health statistics on such topics as birth and death rates, infant mortality, and life expectancy.
- Stats of the States (Centers for Disease Control)
- State Health Facts (Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation): Provides health data for all 50 states, the District of Columbia, the United States, counties, territories, and other geographies.
- World Health Organization (WHO) Countries Information: Includes health profiles for each country with information such as per capita expenditure on health and life expectancy.
Michael Schwartz Library, Cleveland State University
- Catalog Subject Search - Medicine: Limit the search by material types such as ebook or website. Certain resources may be available only on campus or by remote authentication.
- Catalog Subject Search - Health: Limit the search by material types such as ebook or website. Certain resources may be available only on campus or by remote authentication.
- Gale Virtual Reference - Medicine: Requires remote authentication for off-campus use.
- Research Guides - Health Sciences: Subject and course guides that contain useful resources compliled by our Health Sciences subject librarian.
- Research Guides - Nursing: Subject and course guides that contain useful resources compliled by our Nursing subject librarian.
Cleveland Public Library (CPL)
- Health Databases: Resources may require a CPL card and pin number.
Cuyahoga County Public Library (CCPL)
- Research Resources: Click on the Health Tab. Includes databases. Resources may require a CPL card and pin number.