Virtual Reference Desk: Electronic Newspapers
Note: to find specific electronic newspapers available through the Michael Schwartz Library, use Journals at CSU and search for the newspaper title i.e., Los Angeles Times.
Cleveland State Library Newspaper Databases
Accessible on campus or remotely with library pin number.
- American Periodicals Series Online (1740-1900): Digitized images of the pages of over 1,100 historic American magazines, journals, and newspapers.
- America's Historical Newspapers: Early American newspapers published between 1690 and 1922, including titles from all 50 present states.
- Ethnic NewsWatch (1990-): Access to full text of newspapers published by and for minority and native ethnic groups. Includes articles, editorials, columns, reviews, etc. to provide a broad diversity of perspectives and viewpoints.
- HarpWeek: the Civil War Era and Reconstruction I (1857-1871): Page images and indexes to Harper's Weekly, covering the Civil War and Reconstruction periods.
- Lexis-Nexis Academic: Full text news, business, legal, medical, and reference information.
- New York Times (1986- ): Covers U.S. and international affairs as well as in-depth coverage of New York City developments. Includes the New York Times Book Review and New York Times Magazine. Online version updated daily.
- New York Times (Historic) (1851-2008): Contains the full text of the New York Times from 1851 to 2008. Covers U.S. and international affairs as well as in-depth coverage of New York City developments. Includes the New York Times Book Review and New York Times Magazine.
- Newspaper Source (1995-): Full text for regional U.S. newspapers, international newspapers, newswires, and newspaper columns.
- Regional Business News latest 30 days: A full text newswire database that incorporates business wires from all over the world.
- Wall Street Journal (1984-): Contains full text articles from the Wall Street Journal from January 2, 1984 through today's issue. Browse issues, or search for terms in citation, abstract, or article text.
- Cleveland.com: Selected Plain Dealer articles—online version of the Plain Dealer; not a full archive.
- Cleveland Public Library - Newspaper Databases: Require library card and pin number.
- Call and Post: Full-text searching of all issues of the Cleveland Call and Post published between 1934 and 1991.
- Newsbank – Ohio Newspapers: Full text access to several Ohio newspapers including the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Columbus Dispatch, Cincinnati Post, Dayton Daily News, Toledo Blade, Cincinnati Post, and Dayton Daily News.
- Plain Dealer 1991-present: Full text access to all content from 1991 to the present, except for letters to the editor, death notices and advertising.
- Plain Dealer Historical (1845-1991) : "Historical Plain Dealer offers full page and article images with searchable full text back to the first issue."
- Cuyahoga County Public Library Newspaper and Magazine Databases: Require library card and pin number.
- Plain Dealer (combined historical and current search covering 1845-present): Includes full text and article images.
- Online Newspaper Directory for the World: Listing of 10,000 newspapers from around the world, searchable by country and then by publication.