The Library Learning Commons / Reference Center
The Library Learning Commons, located at the west end of the first floor, is the Library's primary service point for assistance and information. The Reference Staff at the Reference Center assists with research questions. They can help you locate books, articles, and any other kind of information using the library catalog, databases, and internet. The IS&T student at the desk will help you with technology and software problems. The Reference Staff can also help you find the answer to general informational questions. Reference librarians are also available in their offices in RT 110.
- 130 Internet accessible computers with Internet browsers and Microsoft Office, equipped with Roxio cd-burner software and USB ports. USB extension cords are available from the reference desk.
- Access to all electronic library resources.
- Color or greyscale printing.
- 1 general use PC and one text magnifier for persons with disabilities.
- Flatbed scanner.
Temporary Resources Available During Spring 2021:
While our upper floors are closed and access to the Digital Design Studio is unavailable, we are providing access to Adobe Creative Cloud and ABBYY FineReader 15 on two computers in the Learning Commons. Ask at the desk for their locations. Library staff support for these programs will be extremely limited, but the computers will be available for current CSU students, faculty, and staff any time the Library is open.
- Adobe Creative Cloud and all of its apps (e.g., Photoshop, Acrobat Pro, etc.) require users to sign in with an Adobe account. If you don't already have an Adobe account, you can create a free one by clicking the "Create an Account" link on the Adobe logon screen.
- ABBYY FineReader 15 is OCR software that allows users to scan documents as editable PDF or Word files. It is very easy to use – start the program, select "Scan" > "Scan to PDF" or "Scan to Word", and follow the prompts. You can also use the "Open" function to convert already-scanned images to text from a file.
See Computers in the Library for a more complete list of available software and hardware.
Reference computers are available whenever the Library is open (see Hours).
For remote reference assistance, call (216) 687-5300, text us at (216) 820-9691 use our chat service, or Ask Your Personal Librarian online.